Re: stats for network traffic WIP

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nigel Heron <nheron(at)querymetrics(dot)com>, Mike Blackwell <mike(dot)blackwell(at)rrd(dot)com>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: stats for network traffic WIP
Date: 2013-12-18 23:12:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 03:41:24PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On the other hand, there's not much value in adding monitoring
> features that are going to materially harm performance, and a lot of
> the monitoring features that get proposed die on the vine for exactly
> that reason. I think the root of the problem is that our stats
> infrastructure is a streaming pile of crap. A number of people have

"streaming"? I can't imagine what that looks like. ;-)

I think the larger point is that network is only one of many things we
need to address, so this needs a holistic approach that looks at all
needs and creates infrastructure to address it.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +