Re: Time-Delayed Standbys

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: KONDO Mitsumasa <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabrízio Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time-Delayed Standbys
Date: 2013-12-12 11:05:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2013-12-12 09:09:21 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> >> * Add functionality (I propose)
> >> We can set negative number at min_standby_apply_delay. I think that
> >> this feature
> >> is for world wide replication situation. For example, master server is
> >> in
> >> Japan and slave server is in San Francisco. Japan time fowards than
> >> San
> >> Francisco time
> >> . And if we want to delay in this situation, it can need negative

> > This is because local time is recorded in XLOG. And it has big cost for
> > calculating global time.

Uhm? Isn't the timestamp in commit records actually a TimestampTz? And
thus essentially stored as UTC? I don't think this problem actually
exists?

> My suggestion would be to add the TZ to the checkpoint record. This
> way all users of WAL can see the TZ of the master and act accordingly.
> I'll do a separate patch for that.

Intuitively I'd say that might be useful - but I am not reall sure what
for. And we don't exactly have a great interface for looking at a
checkpoint's data. Maybe add it to the control file instead?

Greetings,

Andres Freund