Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO
Date: 2013-12-03 23:14:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> > Would certainly be nice. Realistically, getting good automated
> > performace tests will require paying someone like Greg S., Mark or me
> > for 6 solid months to develop them, since worthwhile open source
> > performance test platforms currently don't exist. That money has never
> > been available; maybe I should do a kickstarter.
>
> So in order to get *testing* we need to pay somebody. But to build a great
> database server, we can rely on volunteer efforts or sponsorship from
> companies who are interested in moving the project forward?

The reason for this is obvious. You cannot just give the responsibility
of creating a good testing framework to any random guy you just found on
the internets. It has to be an expert, you see.

> But sure - I'm all for trying a kickstarter. Did anybody ever try that
> for an actual postgres feature? Didn't JD and/or cmd and/or pgus at
> some point try something like that?

Hmm, I vaguely recall at CMD there was an attempt to work on a feature
paid via crowd-funding, but I don't recall if we got there or not. In a
way, the foreign key locking patch was done that way, but it wasn't true
crowd-funding but multiple companies sponsoring (at least partly,
because we spent so much more on it than we initially thought we would).

Not quite the same thing, I guess; but then if you get several companies
to each put larger amounts of money than an individual would, I guess
your kickstarter might also succeed.