Re: Add \i option to bring in the specified file as a quoted literal

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Piotr Marcinczyk <pmarcinc(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Add \i option to bring in the specified file as a quoted literal
Date: 2013-11-22 12:54:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit Kapila escribió:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> > \ib homer ~/photos/homer.jpg
> > insert into people (name, photo) values ('Homer', :homer);
>
> Isn't something similar already supported as mentioned in docs:
>
> One example use of this mechanism is to copy the contents of a file
> into a table column. First load the file into a variable and then
> interpolate the variable's value as a quoted string:
>
> testdb=> \set content `cat my_file.txt`
> testdb=> INSERT INTO my_table VALUES (:'content');
>
> or do you prefer an alternative without any kind of quote using \ib?

If the only use case of the feature proposed in this thread is to load
stuff from files to use as column values, then we're pretty much done,
and this patch is not needed -- except, maybe, that the `` is unlikely
to work on Windows, as already mentioned elsewhere. But if the OP had
something else in mind, let's hear what it is.