tcp_keepalives_idle

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: tcp_keepalives_idle
Date: 2013-11-14 05:38:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I am struggling to understand what following phrase says:

tcp_keepalives_idle (integer)
Specifies the number of seconds before sending a keepalive packet
on an otherwise idle connection.

What I am not sure is the meaning of "otherwise". Can I safely replace
it to:
Specifies the number of seconds before sending a keepalive packet
on an other side of idle connection.

What I try to want to mean here is, "other side" is frontend side
connection point.

Or I am completely misunderstanding?
--
Tatsuo Ishii