Add %z support to elog/ereport?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Add %z support to elog/ereport?
Date: 2013-11-11 15:50:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I'd like to add support for the length modifier %z. Linux' manpages
describes it as:
z A following integer conversion corresponds to a size_t or ssize_t argument.

Since gcc's printf format checks understand it, we can add support for
it similar to the way we added %m support.

Currently we just deal with wanting to print size_t/Size values by
casting them to uint32, uint64 or similar, but that's a) annoying
because 64bit numbers require the annoying UINT64_FORMAT b) more and
more likely to be problematic when casting to 32bit numbers.

Does anybody see prolbems with that?

Greetings,

Andres Freund