Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, KONDO Mitsumasa <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement
Date: 2013-10-23 23:30:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Martijn van Oosterhout (kleptog(at)svana(dot)org) wrote:
> If I had to guess a distribution for query runtimes I'd go for Poisson,
> which would mean you'd expect the mean to equal the variance. Don't
> have enough experience with such measurements to say whether that is
> reasonable.

I was thinking the same, but I'm not sure how that really helps us. The
histogram is a good idea, imv, and I'll add my vote for implementing
that. If it's too expensive to do currently then we need to work out a
way to make it cheaper. The log-based histogram as an array w/ NULLs
for any empty buckets might not be that terrible.

Thanks,

Stephen