matviews do not lock relations during refresh

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com>
Subject: matviews do not lock relations during refresh
Date: 2013-10-22 23:28:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

In an postgres build that has added instrumentation to detect cases
where indexes are index_open()ed without any locks on the underlying
relation, the matview code started to cry during the regression tests.

The problem seems to be that refresh_matview_datafill() uses
QueryRewrite() without previously using AcquireRewriteLocks() but as
QueryRewrite states:
* ...
* NOTE: the parsetree must either have come straight from the parser,
* or have been scanned by AcquireRewriteLocks to acquire suitable locks.
*/

I think the missed locks could lead to postgres crashing under
concurrent DDL.

I've attached a quick patch that fixes the issue for me in HEAD, but I
am not 100% sure I understand the details of refresh_matview_datafill().

This probably needs to go into 9.3 in an adapted form.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

0001-Acquire-appropriate-locks-when-rewriting-during-REFR.patch text/x-patch 1.4 KB