Re: ECPG FETCH readahead

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: ECPG FETCH readahead
Date: 2013-10-10 22:16:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Boszormenyi Zoltan escribió:
> >You need to update the dblink regression tests.
>
> Done.

Dude, this is an humongous patch. I was shocked by it initially, but on
further reading, I observed that it's only a huge patch which also does
some mechanical changes to test output. I think it'd be better to split
the part that's responsible for the changed lines in test output
mentioning "ecpg_process_output". That should be a reasonably small
patch which changes ecpg_execute slightly and adds the new function, is
followed by the enormous resulting mechanical changes in test output.
It should be possible to commit that relatively quickly. Then there's
the rest of the patch, which would adds a huge pile of new code.

I think there are some very minor changes to backend code as well --
would it make sense to post that as a separate piece?