Re: pgbench - exclude pthread_create() from connection start timing

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: pgbench - exclude pthread_create() from connection start timing
Date: 2013-10-06 14:10:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 09:48:04AM +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> Also, I'm not sure of any system used with pgbench that do not have
> threads, so ISTM that the thread fork-emulation hack is more or less
> useless, and it is pretty masochistic to maintain when adding
> features.

Fair point. When added, the code pertaining to fork-emulation was
well-isolated, and that remained the case as recently as 9.3. Your recent
--progress patch was the first to suffer contortions for the benefit of that
mode. (The per-statement latencies feature just declined to support it.)

> >For the time being, I propose the attached comment patch.
>
> It comment seems very clear to me. I do not understand why it starts
> with XXX, though.

PostgreSQL code uses that notation regularly. When I add it, I typically have
in mind "the following is not fully satisfying, but it's not bad enough to
make a point of improving".

I've committed the comment patch.

--
Noah Misch