Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information
Date: 2013-10-03 21:31:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian escribió:

> Agreed. I was stating only that this is easy for pg_upgrade. One cool
> thing is that the upgrades completes, and the indexes are there, but
> just marked as invalid until the REINDEX.
>
> One other point Alexander made is that the new GIN indexes will be
> smaller so most people would want the new format in the new cluster
> anyway.

But they're nonfunctional until after the reindex, which is bad for
people who want a quick upgrade and return to operational mode
immediately. If you could just keep the old indexes around, in working
state, until they are REINDEX CONCURRENTLY'ed, that would be more
practical than just marking them invalid.