Re: logical changeset generation v6.1

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical changeset generation v6.1
Date: 2013-10-01 17:56:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2013-10-01 10:07:19 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> - It seems that HeapSatisfiesHOTandKeyUpdate is now
> HeapSatisfiesHOTandKeyandCandidateKeyUpdate. Considering I think this
> was merely HeapSatisfiesHOTUpdate a year ago, it's hard not to be
> afraid that something unscalable is happening to this function. On a
> related node, any overhead added here costs broadly; I'm not sure if
> there's enough to worry about.

Ok, I had to think a bit, but now I remember why I think these changes
are not really problem: Neither the addition of keys nor candidate keys
will add any additional comparisons since the columns compared for
candidate keys are a subset of the set of key columns which in turn are a
subset of the columns checked for HOT. Right?

Greetings,

Andres Freund