Re: UNNEST with multiple args, and TABLE with multiple funcs

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: UNNEST with multiple args, and TABLE with multiple funcs
Date: 2013-09-05 13:35:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:09:05AM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> > > When adding regression tests, can you please add intentional
> > > syntax error cases to exercise all the new ereport()s?
> >
> > Please do not add test cases merely to prove that. Yeah, you should
> > probably have exercised each error case in devel testing, but that does
> > not mean that every future run of the regression tests needs to do it too.
>
> I disagree. The next person who wants to hack on this feature should be
> given the confidence that he's not breaking behavior that the last guy
> put in.

+1. I wouldn't make full error-outcome test coverage a condition of patch
acceptance. However, when an author chooses to submit high-quality tests with
that level of detail, our source tree is the place to archive them. I share
Tom's desire for a Makefile target that completes quickly and checks only
those behaviors most likely to break, but not at the cost of letting deep test
coverage dissipate in a mailing list attachment or in the feature author's
home directory.

--
Noah Misch