Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-08-20 12:51:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Amit Kapila (amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> Okay, let us decide how things will be if we disable by default:
> 1. initdb won't create any empty auto file, rather the file will be
> created first time user uses ALTER SYSTEM.

I'm not particularly set on this.. Why not create the file initially?

> 2. Alter system should issue warning, if it detects that feature is
> disabled (for this we need to error detection code
> during parsing of postgresql.conf as it was previously)

I agree that it should complain through a warning or perhaps an error
(to be honest, I like error more, but there may be good reasons against
that).

> 3. postgresql.conf will contain include directive in below form:
> #include = 'postgresql.auto.conf'
> Whenever user wants to use Alter System, he needs to enable it
> after first time using ALTER SYSTEM.

That I don't like.. You should be able to enable it and have things
"work" without having to run ALTER SYSTEM first..

> One question here, if somebody just enables it without using ALTER
> SYSTEM, should it throw any error on not finding auto file or just
> ignore it?

I'd prefer that it error if it can't find an included file.

> > What about include directives?
>
> Sorry, I didn't get which parameters you are referring by include directives?

Literally, the above 'include' in postgresql.conf. Would that only be
dealt with as a parse-time thing, or should it be more like a GUC which
could then be set through ALTER SYSTEM?

Thanks,

Stephen