Re: Disabling ALTER SYSTEM SET WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters

From: Rodrigo Gonzalez <rjgonzale(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disabling ALTER SYSTEM SET WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters
Date: 2013-08-05 20:31:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 15:53:01 -0400
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> The other issue is that currently you can only edit a server's config
> if you are logged in to it. If we permit SQL-level access to that,
> and somebody who doesn't have access to edit the files blocks
> themselves out, there is no way for them to get a working system *at
> all*.

This is not a valid point, at least for me....basically all OSs should
disable any change to firewall if you are connected remotely cause you
can block yourself....giving power to users does not mean being their
babysitter....we should smart enough to use the power we receive...if
we are not smart...we should start thinking about other profession

And excuse my English, I hope the point is clear...

Best regards

Rodrigo Gonzalez