Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-08-05 16:18:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 03:40:22PM +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> Why isn't it enough to just dump out all variables with a source of alter
> system to a text file? You can either have a single global lock around that
> operation or write it to a new file and move it into place.
>
> --
> greg
>
> On 1 Aug 2013 15:19, "Andres Freund" <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On 2013-08-01 15:17:04 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> > We don't need per guc locking. This is the whole objection Tom had about
> > this patch being more complex than it has to be.
>
> IIRC he objected to using locking *at all* because a simple
> one-file-per-setting approach should be used.

I am unclear why we don't need a lock around _each_ GUC, i.e. if two
sessions try to modify the same GUC at the same time. And if we need a
lock, seems we can have just one and write all the settings to one file
--- it is not like we have trouble doing locking, though this is
cluster-wide locking.

How would users handle renamed GUC variables, as we have done in the
past? Would pg_dumpall dump the settings out? Would unrecognized
settings throw an error, causing pg_upgrade to fail?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com