Re: Add visibility map information to pg_freespace.

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com
Cc: snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp, alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add visibility map information to pg_freespace.
Date: 2013-07-08 07:59:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

> > - How about pageinspect?
> >
> > I proposed a simple representation format as a basis for
> > discussion. Nevertheless, the VM pages has no more structure
> > than a simple bit string. Given the VM info in pg_freespacemap,
> > I've come in doubt of the necessity of vm_page_contnets() for
> > the reason besides the orthogonality in the this extension's
> > interface (which paid no attention before:-).
>
> I don't think that will be needed, now I understand.

Ok, I'll drop it from the list.

> > - How about pgstattuple?
> >
> > It could even be said to be meaningful to add the number of
> > not-all-visible pages or the ratio of it in the total pages..
..
> > | free_percent | 37.88
> > + not_all_visible_page_percent | 23.54
> >
> > # This column name looks too long, though.
> >

> Yes, please.
>
> But name should be all_visible_percent.
> Anybody that wants not_all_visible_percent can do the math.

You're quite right, plus, negative terms are a bit confusing.

I'll come again with the first implementation of it. And as for
pg_freespacemap, I'll keep the current direction - adding column
to present output records format of pg_freespace(). And
documentation, if possible.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi