Re: Detach/attach table and index data files from one cluster to another

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Sameer Thakur <samthakur74(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Detach/attach table and index data files from one cluster to another
Date: 2013-04-12 18:49:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > The big win here over a binary COPY is pulling through the indexes as-is
> > as well- without having to rebuild them.

[... lots of reasons this is hard ...]

I agree that it's quite a bit more difficult, to the point that logical
replication which can be selective (eg: give me only table X + indexes)
might end up being the only answer, but otherwise this approach will
likely only be a modest improvement over binary COPY FREEZE- and there
only because we essentially end up skipping the type validation (which
we could just provide as an option, similar to COPY FREEZE...).

Thanks,

Stephen