Request for vote to move forward with recovery.conf overhaul

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Request for vote to move forward with recovery.conf overhaul
Date: 2012-12-21 19:46:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There has been discussion in the past of removing or significantly
changing the way streaming replication/point-in-time-recovery (PITR) is
setup in Postgres. Currently the file recovery.conf is used, but that
was designed for PITR and does not serve streaming replication well.

This all should have been overhauled when streaming replication was
added in 2010 in Postgres 9.0. However, time constraints and concern
about backward compatibility has hampered this overhaul.

At this point, backward compatibility seems to be hampering our ability
to move forward. I would like a vote that supports creation of a new
method for setting up streaming replication/point-in-time-recovery,
where backward compatibility is considered only where it is minimally
invasive.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com