Re: logical decoding - GetOldestXmin

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: logical decoding - GetOldestXmin
Date: 2012-12-13 20:03:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2012-12-13 18:29:00 +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2012-12-13 00:05:41 +0000, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> > Initialisation means finding a free “logical slot” from shared memory,
> > then looping until the new magic xmin horizon for logical walsenders
> > (stored in their “slot”) is that of the weakest link (think local
> > global xmin).
> >
> > + * FIXME: think about solving the race conditions in a nicer way.
> > + */
> > + recompute_xmin:
> > + walsnd->xmin = GetOldestXmin(true, true);
> > + ComputeLogicalXmin();
> > + if (walsnd->xmin != GetOldestXmin(true, true))
> > + goto recompute_xmin;
> >
> > Apart from the race conditions that I'm not confident are addressed
> > here, I think that the above could easily get stuck indefinitely in
> > the event of contention.
>
> I don't like that part the slightest bit but I don't think its actually
> in danger of looping forever. In fact I think its so broken it won't
> ever loop ;). (ComputeLogicalXmin() will set the current global minimum
> which will then be returned by GetOldestXmin()).
>
> I would like to solve this properly without copying GetOldestXmin once
> more (so we can compute and set the logical xmin while holding
> ProcArrayLock), but I am not yet sure how a nice way to do that would
> look like.
>
> I guess GetOldestXminNoLock? That gets called while we already hold the
> procarray lock? Yuck.

Does anybody have an opinion on the attached patches? Especially 0001,
which contains the procarray changes?

It moves a computation of the sort of:

result -= vacuum_defer_cleanup_age;
if (!TransactionIdIsNormal(result))
result = FirstNormalTransactionId;

inside ProcArrayLock. But I can't really imagine that to be relevant...

Another alternative to this would be to get a snapshot with
GetSnapshotData(), copy the xmin to the logical slot, then call
ProcArrayEndTransaction(). But that doesn't really seem to be nicer to
me.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

0001-Add-GetOldestXminNoLock-as-a-variant-and-implementat.patch text/x-patch 3.1 KB
0002-wal-decoding-Use-GetOldestXminNoLock-to-compute-the-.patch text/x-patch 1.7 KB