Re: review: pgbench - aggregation of info written into log

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: review: pgbench - aggregation of info written into log
Date: 2012-12-08 15:33:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Tomas,

On 2012-11-27 14:55:59 +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > attached is a v4 of the patch. There are not many changes, mostly some
> > simple tidying up, except for handling the Windows.

After a quick look I am not sure what all the talk about windows is
about? instr_time.h seems to provide all you need, even for windows? The
only issue of gettimeofday() for windows seems to be that it is that its
not all that fast an not too high precision, but that shouldn't be a
problem in this case?

Could you expand a bit on the problems?

> >> * I had a problem with doc

The current patch has conflict markers in the sgml source, there seems
to have been some unresolved merge. Maybe that's all that causes the
errors?

Whats your problem with setting up the doc toolchain?

> issues:
>
> * empty lines with invisible chars (tabs) + and sometimes empty lines
> after and before {}
>
> * adjustment of start_time
>
> + * the desired interval */
> + while (agg->start_time
> + agg_interval < INSTR_TIME_GET_DOUBLE(now))
> +
> agg->start_time = agg->start_time + agg_interval;
>
> can "skip" one interval - so when transaction time will be larger or
> similar to agg_interval - then results can be strange. We have to know
> real length of interval

Could you post a patch that adresses these issues?

Greetings,

Andres Freund