Re: Global Sequences

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Global Sequences
Date: 2012-10-16 13:15:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 02:58:11 PM Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 10/16/2012 08:54 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Option 4 is of course to use UUIDs.
>
> Yeah, I was wondering what this would really solve that using UUIDs
> wouldn't solve.

Large indexes over random values perform notably worse than mostly/completely
ordered ones as they can be perfectly packed. Beside the fact that uuids have
2/4 times the storage overhead of int4/int8.

That has influences both in query and modification performance.

Also, not allowing plainly numeric pk's makes porting an application pretty
annoying...

Greetings,

Andres