Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories

From: "Mr(dot) Aaron W(dot) Swenson" <titanofold(at)gentoo(dot)org>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories
Date: 2011-10-04 18:27:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 04:49:21PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of lun oct 03 16:09:08 -0300 2011:
>
> > Yes, auto-creation of symlinks would be useful, but at that point pg_ctl
> > and pg_upgrade would have to use the real data directory, so I again
> > wonder what the config-only directory is getting us.
>
> Not mixing config stuff (in /etc per FHS) with server data (/var/lib,
> again per FHS). It's Debian policy anyway. I don't judge whether this
> is sane or not. See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
>
> > Why were people not using pg_ctl? Because of the limitations which were
> > fixed in PG 9.1? As Dave already said, windows already has to use pg_ctl.
>
> As I said, Debian has their own version pg_ctlcluster because of their
> work to allow multiple major versions to work simultaneously in the same
> server. I dunno what about Gentoo.

I implemented separated configuration and data directories to adhere to
FHS. Actually, I had a bug on bugs.gentoo.org -- again, actually, there
have been a few bugs over the years -- requesting that I make PostgreSQL
adhere to the FHS.

I made it work using pg_ctl. The more curious among you can take a look at
the initscripts and related config files from my devspace. [1]

'/etc/init.d/postgresql-9.0 restart' will actually call stop() and
start(). Otherwise, I've mostly paralleled initscript functionality with
the functionality of pg_ctl. Multiple initscripts are installed
side-by-side to control multiple major versions.

1. http://dev.gentoo.org/~titanofold/

--
Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
Gentoo Linux Developer