Re: Enhanced psql in core?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, depesz(at)depesz(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enhanced psql in core?
Date: 2011-07-11 01:34:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> You can't *today*. But it's a very good question whether it wouldn't
> make more sense to solve these problems by extending DO rather than
> adding things into psql. Functionality in DO will be available to
> non-psql clients.

I don't think we're ever going to have DO able to do cross-database
things, or top-level transaction control, etc. Perhaps, some day, we'll
have a way to do that kind of thing in the back-end (I certainly hope
so, and Berkus had posted a lot of good thoughts about that not too long
ago), but even so, I think it'd be great to have some real scripting
capability in psql and I'm all for fixing the variable handling w/
a ":{var}" capability..

Thanks,

Stephen