Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages

From: Jonathan Corbet <corbet(at)lwn(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages
Date: 2011-06-27 15:49:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:42:04 -0400

> As for annotating the commit messages, I think something like:
>
> Reporter: Sam Jones
> Author: Beverly Smith
> Author: Jim Davids
> Reviewer: Fred Block
> Reviewer: Pauline Andrews

Can I just toss in one little note from the sidelines? Various other
projects (Linux kernel at the top of the list) have adopted tags like
Reported-by and Reviewed-by for metadata like this. (Authorship lives in
git itself, with additional authors sometimes ambiguously indicated with
additional Signed-off-by lines). There are tools out there which make use
of those tags now. It would seem that, in the absence of a reason to make
up your own tags, it might make sense to be consistent with other projects?

Thanks,

jon