Re: Creating new remote branch in git?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating new remote branch in git?
Date: 2011-06-11 22:49:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith wrote:
> On 06/10/2011 12:19 AM, Alex Hunsaker wrote:
> > It looks like if you push the remote branch first everything should work nicely:
> > git checkout master
> > git push origin origin:refs/heads/REL9_1_STABLE
> > git fetch # fetch the new branch
> > git checkout REL9_1_STABLE
>
> This is basically the state of the art right now for the most frequently
> deployed versions of git. I don't think checking out master first is
> necessary though.
>
> Potentially useful automation/trivia for alternate approaches includes:
>
> 1) Write a little script to do this messy chore, so you don't have to
> remember this weird "create a new branch using a full refspec" syntax.
> There is an example named git-create-branch along with a short tutorial
> on this subject at
> http://www.zorched.net/2008/04/14/start-a-new-branch-on-your-remote-git-repository/
>
> 2) Use git_remote_branch https://github.com/webmat/git_remote_branch
> which is the swiss army knife of remote branch hackery automation.
>
> 3) Rather than manually hack the config files, use "git config" to do
> it. Not sure if this is completely workable, but something like this
> might connect the newly created branch to your local one after pushing
> it out, without actually opening the config with an editor:
>
> git config branch.REL9_1_STABLE.remote origin
> git config branch.REL9_1_STABLE.merge refs/heads/REL9_1_STABLE
>
> 4) Use a system with git>=1.7.0, which adds:
>
> git branch --set-upstream REL9_1_STABLE origin/REL9_1_STABLE

Uh, I think someone needs to add this to our wiki:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Committing_with_Git

I needed this when using git-new-workdir so at least it is needed there;
I am unclear how wide this is needed so I cannot add it.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com