Re: release slippage

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: release slippage
Date: 2011-06-10 03:22:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > One other problem I'm realizing: didn't Peter ask Bruce to revert the
> > change to make pg_upgrade ignore case differences in locale names, on
> > the grounds that it was not safe?
>
> There was a hypothesis that it wasn't safe, but no very clear evidence
> either way. And we did have the field report of a platform where it'd
> be useful to allow a case discrepancy. I'm not uncomfortable with
> leaving that as-is pending further evidence.

I am going to return to this issue. I thought the cause was that we
allow invalid locale names in initdb, and the user actually was getting
a C locale when in fact he had is locale with the wrong case. I am
going to do more research on this, but obviously after beta2.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com