BUG #6011: Some extra messages are output in the event log at PostgreSQL startup

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6011: Some extra messages are output in the event log at PostgreSQL startup
Date: 2011-05-06 14:08:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6011
Logged by: MauMau
Email address: maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.12/9.0.3
Operating system: Windows XP and Vista
PostgreSQL startup
Details:

Hello,

My software package embeds PostgreSQL as a data repository (thank you). The
PostgreSQL server is registered as a Windows service with "pg_ctl register
-w ...", and is started as a service with "pg_ctl runservice ...".

The problem is that the following messages are always output in the event
log at PostgreSQL startup, even when the log_destination parameter doesn't
contain 'eventlog':

[message 1]
Waiting for server startup...

[message 2]
Server started and accepting connections

One of my customers is very sensitive to extra unnecessary messages. They
gave me a simple and reasonable question "Why are those messages output when
event logging is disabled? Is this a bug? Is there a way to prevent these
messages?"

The expected behavior is that no message is output in the event log when
log_destination doesn't contain 'eventlog'. I wish the behavior will be
corrected in 8.3.x.