Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Michael Banck <mbanck(at)debian(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Date: 2011-02-17 15:42:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Bruce Momjian (bruce(at)momjian(dot)us) wrote:
> I just posted on this. The risk is to people using the packages --- the
> packages themselves include the source as an option, so they are fine,
> but everyone using those packages would also be required to distribute
> source, which is a restriction we have avoided in the past.

I think you may want to reread the GPL on this. They're not actually
required to distribute source *with* the binaries (hell, Debian
doesn't..) as long as they are willing to produce it if asked. And
that's the source for the binaries which actually depend on the GPL'd
code, eg, the community-built psql binary that you're talking about
here.. They don't have to provide source for everything on the CD or
something (again, Debian has a "non-free" section also..).

Thanks,

Stephen