Re: DB alias ?

From: Shridhar Daithankar <ghodechhap(at)ghodechhap(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>, Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: DB alias ?
Date: 2013-01-24 03:31:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 09:39:43 PM Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> Then someone who wants to look at old JAN data will have the same problem
> :-(
>
> If I recall, Oracle enables something like this. Multiple tnsfilenames (or
> something like that). There was a connect layer on the server side that
> the DBA had access to where you could do stuff like this.
> >> proposed new SQL command:
> >>READ USERS MIND;
> :
> :-)
>
> Actually, read the DBA's mind.
>
> How about...
>
> postgres=# create db_alias FEB to db JAN;
> postgres=# drop db_alias FEB;

I would have suggested to use pg_services file as documented at

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/libpq-pgservice.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/libpq-connect.html

You can think of this as tnsnames replacement.

but I am unable to make it work. I don't know what is wrong with this.

shridhar(at)bheem ~$ cat ~/.pg_service.conf
[test1]
host=localhost
dbname=test

shridhar(at)bheem ~$ strace -o psql.strace psql test1
psql: FATAL: database "test1" does not exist

shridhar(at)bheem ~$ grep -i pg_service psql.strace

shridhar(at)bheem ~$ psql test
psql (9.2.2)
Type "help" for help.

test=# \q