Review: rollback sequence reset for TRUNCATE ... RESTART IDENTITY

From: Marc Cousin <cousinmarc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Review: rollback sequence reset for TRUNCATE ... RESTART IDENTITY
Date: 2010-11-17 13:13:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Here is my review of 'rollback sequence reset for TRUNCATE ... RESTART
IDENTITY' patch.

- Is the patch in context diff format?
It's in git diff format. I guess it's OK ?

- Does it apply cleanly to the current git master?
Yes

- Does it include reasonable tests, necessary doc patches, etc?
Doc: Yes, it removes the warning about TRUNCATE ... RESTART IDENTITY, which is
the point of the patch
Tests: There is a new regression test added for restart identity. And 'make
check' passes (tested on linux).

- Usability review (skills needed: test-fu, ability to find and read spec)

- Read what the patch is supposed to do, and consider:

- Does the patch actually implement that?
Yes.

- Do we want that?
I think so, it removes a trap limitation of truncate

- Do we already have it?
No

- Does it follow SQL spec, or the community-agreed behavior?
I think so

- Does it include pg_dump support (if applicable)?
Not applicable

- Are there dangers?
Not that I think of

- Have all the bases been covered?
I think so

- Feature test (skills needed: patch, configure, make, pipe errors to log)

- Apply the patch, compile it and test:
- Does the feature work as advertised?
Yes. It works consistently, isn't fooled by savepoints or multiple serials in
a table, or concurrent transactions

- Are there corner cases the author has failed to consider?
I don't think so

- Are there any assertion failures or crashes?
No

Performance review (skills needed: ability to time performance)

- Does the patch slow down simple tests?
No

- If it claims to improve performance, does it?
Not applicable

- Does it slow down other things?
No

- Read the changes to the code in detail and consider:
- Does it follow the project coding guidelines?
Yes

- Are there portability issues?
I don't think so

- Will it work on Windows/BSD etc?
Yes. There is no OS-specific code added.

- Are the comments sufficient and accurate?
Yes

- Does it do what it says, correctly?
Yes

- Does it produce compiler warnings?
No

- Can you make it crash?
No

- Consider the changes to the code in the context of the project as a whole:
- Is everything done in a way that fits together coherently with other
features/modules?
Yes

- Are there interdependencies that can cause problems?
No