Re: Adding support for SE-Linux security

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding support for SE-Linux security
Date: 2009-12-07 18:33:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Robert Haas wrote:
> >> Yes, I think that's the right way to think about it. At a guess, it's
> >> two man-months of work to get it in, and ripping it out is likely
> >> technically fairly simple but will probably be politically impossible.
>
> > I figure if there is sufficient usage, we will not need to remove it,
> > and if there isn't, we will have no objections to removing it.
>
> That leaves a wide gray area where there are a few people using it but
> not really enough to justify the support effort. Even if there are
> demonstrably no users (which can never be demonstrated in practice),
> politically it's very hard to rip out a "major feature" --- it makes the
> project look bad. So I think the above is Pollyanna-ish nonsense.

I don't even know what "Pollyanna-ish nonsense" means, and it would be
better if you used less flowery/inflamitory prose.

> Once we ship a release with SEPostgres in it, we're committed.

The MS Windows port took 1-2 years to solidify and during the
solidification period we accepted problems and didn't treat it as a
major platform. I think if SE-Linux support is added, there would be a
similar period where the features is not treated as major while we work
out any problems. We might even label it that way.

Labeling SE-Postgres as such might minimize the political problems of
removing it in the future, if that becomes necessary.

I know there has been complaints about the lack of SE-PostgreSQL
developers, but given the number of developers we had for the Win32 port
vs. the installed base, I think having one dedicated SE-PostgreSQL
developer is much more percentage-wise than we had for MS Windows.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com