Re: ALTER ROLE/DATABASE RESET ALL versus security

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER ROLE/DATABASE RESET ALL versus security
Date: 2009-11-15 19:34:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> It looks to me like the code in AlterSetting() will allow an ordinary
> user to blow away all settings for himself. Even those that are for
> SUSET variables and were presumably set for him by a superuser. Isn't
> this a security hole? I would expect that an unprivileged user should
> not be able to change such settings, not even to the extent of
> reverting to the installation-wide default.

Yes, I completely overlooked the fact that users should not be able to
blow away GUCs set by superuser. I can't handle this right now though,
as I'm leaving in a couple of days and won't return until cca. Dec. 1st.
If this can wait (and I think it does) then I'll handle it then;
otherwise I'd appreciate if someone else could take a look and fix it.