Re: Patch committers

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch committers
Date: 2009-11-11 19:13:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> Well, I think the answer is to promote some new committers. When was
> the last time we added a committer?
>
> We have added a bunch of new reviewers and major contributors over the
> last 2 years. It's time to review their work and see who can be
> promoted to more responsibility for other people's patches.

Yes, I did consider that, and it might be a solution. The larger
problem is that with many of the patches, it isn't commit-rights that is
preventing people from being involved, but rather the expert knowledge
necessary to make sure the patch works properly.

For example, probably only Simon and Heikki are knowledge enough to
apply the HS and SR patchs --- but those patch is handled. The harder
part is the other patches where there are only a small pool of people
knowledgeable enough to apply the patch, but many of those knowledgeable
people are tied up with non-community things.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com