Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)codelibre(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output
Date: 2009-11-09 22:40:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
> > While i agree this looks nicer I wonder what it does to things like
> > excel/gnumeric/ooffice auto-recognizing table layouts and importing
> > files. I'm not sure our old format was so great for this so maybe this
> > is actually an improvement I'm asking for.
>
> Yeah. We can do what we like with the UTF8 format but I'm considerably
> more worried about the aspect of making random changes to the
> plain-ASCII output. On the other hand, we changed that just a release
> or so ago (to put in the multiline output in the first place) and
> I didn't hear complaints about it that time.

Sorry for the delayed reply:

The line continuation characters were chosen in 8.4 for clarity --- if
you have found something clearer for 8.5, let's make the improvement. I
think clarity is more important in this area than consistency with the
previous psql output format.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com