client_lc_messages

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: client_lc_messages
Date: 2009-10-22 13:59:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

So right now we have a single GUC determining the language that log
messages are in, and it is PGC_SUSET to avoid a user from sending
messages to the log that the DBA cannot read.

However, this means that the client cannot get the messages in the
language of his choice.

What I am wondering right now is whether we could have two separate
attributes, one SUSET defining what goes to the log, and another one
USERSET defining what's sent to the client.

This would require a bit of shuffling, because right now we translate
the message pretty early in the call chain -- way before we try to send
it to client or server. This would need to be postponed, or
alternatively, we would need to store a second, untranslated copy so
that another translation can take place later, if necessary.

Thoughts?