Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output

From: Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)codelibre(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output
Date: 2009-10-16 11:52:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 01:38:15PM +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> (HTML mail to preserve formatting; let's see if it works.)
>
> I like the new Unicode tables, but the marking of continuation lines
> looks pretty horrible:

Yes, I'm not so keen myself. The ASCII characters used are '|', ':' and
' ' for normal, wrapped and newlines. Here, we are using vertical lines
with two or three dashes to replace the latter two.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, this patch will be followed up
with a futher patch to unify the folding/newline behaviour between
column header and data lines, which will replace these with normal
vertical lines in all cases, with the addition of characters in the
margin such as as a CR symbol or ellipsis to indicate newlines or
wrapping. To preserve backward compatibility, the ASCII output will
remain unchanged.

I would have done this in the patch as applied, but was asked to hold
off doing that until the initial work was committed.

> Note that the above is close to a default setup, so that is what many
> people will see by default from now on.

I'll try to get the above proposed change done in the next week or so,
in time for the next CommitFest, if you agree with the general idea.

Regards,
Roger

--
.''`. Roger Leigh