Re: Rules: A Modest Proposal

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rules: A Modest Proposal
Date: 2009-10-05 16:28:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Kevin Grittner (Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov) wrote:
> >Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > Do we have a patch which implements the necessary mechanics to
> > replace RULEs, even for the specific situations you list? Until
> > then, I don't think there's much to discuss.
>
> I thought that until we had discussion and consensus it was premature
> to start working on a patch....

In general that's true, but in this case we're talking about removing a
pretty major feature and replacing it with something else. We havn't
got the 'something else' hammered out yet (or so it sounds to me..) and
I have doubts that we'd be able to really make a call on removing RULEs
until we know and have the specifics of what's replacing it.

That might be possible to do without a patch, but it requires a great
deal more documentation, planning, and information in general before a
decision could be made. Specifically, what people will actually do to
implement the things that RULEs used to provide.

Thanks,

Stephen