Re: Filtering dictionaries support and unaccent dictionary

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: Filtering dictionaries support and unaccent dictionary
Date: 2009-08-13 19:14:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Thursday 13 August 2009 18:07:51 Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> > > Peter,
> > >
> > > how to write accented characters in sgml ? Is't not allowed to write
> > > them as is ?
> >
> > &aacute; for ?, etc. You can't use characters that aren't in Latin-1 I
> > think. Writing them literally is not allowed.
>
> It's somehow possible, but it's not as straightforward as say with XML. And
> you might get into a Latin-1 vs UTF-8 mixup. At least that's what I noticed
> in my limited testing the other day.

The top of release.sgml has instructions on that because that is often
something we need to do for names in release notes:

non-ASCII characters convert to HTML4 entity (&) escapes

official: http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/entities.html
one page: http://www.zipcon.net/~swhite/docs/computers/browsers/entities_page.html
other lists: http://www.zipcon.net/~swhite/docs/computers/browsers/entities.html
http://www.zipcon.net/~swhite/docs/computers/browsers/entities_page.html