Re: REINDEX "is not a btree"

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: REINDEX "is not a btree"
Date: 2009-07-10 15:12:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday 10 July 2009, Vanessa Lopez <v(dot)lopez(at)open(dot)ac(dot)uk> wrote:
> What do you mean by we can't simply take a filesystem copy of a
> running database? :-O ... How should we then do the backups (so next
> time I will not have the same problem again) ?

There is extensive documentation on how to do backups. For filesystem
backups, see PITR.

You might also want to examine all your backup strategies - most running
applications are not happy about being backed up without taking special
steps to ensure data consistency.

--
Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world,
is either a madman or an economist.