Re: Windows installer for pg-8.4 confusion

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Stuart McGraw <smcg2297(at)frii(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows installer for pg-8.4 confusion
Date: 2009-07-06 20:26:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Stuart McGraw wrote:
> First, thanks to everyone who contributed
> to 8.4 -- the new features list looks great!
>
> In the past I have always installed the
> Windows binary installer from postgresql.org.
> For pg-8.4 I see that the download directory
> now has a pointer to the EnterpriseDB "one
> click" installer.
>
> Has the EnterpriseDB installer now become the
> "official" Windows distribution? Or will the
> standard pginstaller appear some time in the
> future?

The EnterpriseDB is now the standard and the MSI one will not be
returning. The MSI one was just too hard to build and didn't have any
advantages of the EnterpriseDB one. We do have all the specs of how to
build the EnterpriseDB one so anyone else can reproduce it if necessary.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com