Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Date: 2009-06-08 03:50:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > On 6/7/09 10:56 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> >> OK, that's more or less what I thought, and what I intended to convey
> >> upthread. As far as core Postgres is concerned this is a new feature,
> >> and we haven't worked out all the kinks yet.
> >
> > Yes, I'm calling it "pg_migrator beta" in any advocacy/PR about it.
> > AFAIC, until we have these sorts of issues worked out, it's still a beta.
>
> afaiks bruce stated he is going to remove the BETA tag from pg_migrator
> soon so I guess calling it beta in the main project docs will confuse
> the hell out of people(or causing them to think that it is not beta any
> more).
> So maybe calling it experimental(from the POV of the main project) or
> something similar might still be the better solution.

This all sounds very discouraging. It is like, "Oh, my, there is a
migration tool and it might have bugs. How do we prevent people from
using it?"

Right now nothing in the project is referring to pg_migrator except in
the press release, and it is marked as beta there. How do you want to
deemphasize it more than that? Why did I bother working on this if the
community reaction is to try to figure out how to make people avoid
using it?

I am now thinking I need to my own PR for pg_migrator because obviously
the community is only worried it might have a bug. Instead of testing
it, looking at the code, submitting bug reports, or anything
constructive, you sit around figuring out how to put a disparaging label
on it!

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com