Re: Win32 link() function

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 link() function
Date: 2009-06-02 15:15:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

bruce wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
> >
> > > Of course:
> > > though you have to delete the new cluster directory and remove the _old
> > > suffixes to get your old cluster back.
> >
> > That wasn't what I had in mind by "before the point of no return".
> > You should be making some effort to detect obvious failure cases
> > *before* the user has to do a lot of error-prone manual cleanup.
>
> That is something I will address during beta as I get problem reports.

I have implemented your suggestion:

Stopping postmaster servicing old cluster ok
Starting postmaster to service new cluster
waiting for postmaster to start ok
Stopping postmaster servicing new cluster ok

Could not create hard link between old and new data directories:
Cross-device link
In link mode the old and new data directories must be on the same file
system volume.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com