Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

From: "Markus Wanner" <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Aidan Van Dyk" <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date: 2009-06-02 11:08:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Quoting "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>> I don't care half as much about the keyword expansion stuff - that's
>> doomed to disappear anyway.
>
> But this is one aspect we need to get right for the conversion.

What's your definition of "right"? I personally prefer the keyword
expansion to match a cvs checkout as closely as possible.

> So preferably we test it sooner not later.

I actually *am* testing against that. As mentioned, the only
differences are insignificant, IMO. For example having "1.1.1.1"
instead of "1.1" (or vice versa, I don't remember).

> I think Aidan got it right - expand $PostgreSQL$ and others that are
> actually expanded on current repo, but not $OpenBSD$ and others
> coming from external sources.

AFAIU Aidan proposed the exact opposite.

I'm proposing to leave both expanded, as in a CVS checkout and as
shipped in the source release tarballs.

> I'd prefer we immediately test full conversion and not leave some
> steps to last moment.

IMO that would equal to changing history, so that a checkout from git
doesn't match a released tarball as good as possible.

What you call "leave(ing) some steps to last moment" is IMO not part
of the conversion. It's rather a conscious decision to drop these
keywords as soon as we switch to git. This step should be represented
in history as a separate commit, IMO.

What do others think?

Regards

Markus Wanner