Re: Patch to fix search_path defencies with pg_bench

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Dickson S(dot) Guedes" <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to fix search_path defencies with pg_bench
Date: 2009-05-07 17:05:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> [090507 13:02]:
> On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 12:58 -0400, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
>
> > True enough... What about making the prefix be configurable, so by
> > default, it could be "pgbench_", it could be set to "" (to force it to
> > use old pgbench names) or set to "something." to get it to use a
> > different schema (noting that the comparisons to older ones not doing
> > catalog lookups are void).
>
> Then you have to pass the prefix on the command line. That seems a bit
> over doing it for such a simple utility.

Sure, but by putting a sane default (which seems to be leaning towards
"" or "pgbench_"), you don't *need* to do anything on the command line.

> > But by dropping the search_path, you're necessarily changing the catalog
> > comparisons and lookups anyways, because your now taking a "random"
> > search path to follow (which could have multiple entries in it) instead
> > of one guaranteed to be a single, useable entry.
>
> Except that it isn't a guaranteed usable entry, which is why I submitted
> the patch.

Well ya, but at least you didn't have any pgbench result to try and
"compare unevenly" with something else ;-)

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,