Re: Unicode string literals versus the world

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode string literals versus the world
Date: 2009-04-11 15:20:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 05:54:25PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> It gets worse though: I have seldom seen such a badly designed piece of
> syntax as the Unicode string syntax --- see
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-STRINGS-UESCAPE
>
> I think we need to give very serious consideration to ripping out that
> "feature".

I'd agree it's comically bad syntax; I just had a look in the archives
and it was only put in a few months ago:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-10/msg01169.php

I can't see much support in the other database engines; searched for
Oracle, MS-SQL, DB2 and Firebird. MySQL has it planned for 7.1, so not
for a while.

http://forge.mysql.com/worklog/task.php?id=3529

--
Sam http://samason.me.uk/