Re: ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN ... SET DISTINCT

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN ... SET DISTINCT
Date: 2009-04-06 14:50:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert,

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > I do such diffs pretty often, but I don't think I've *ever* done it on
> > catalog tables..  Perhaps it'll come up in the future, but I doubt it.
>
> Well the point is when you dump a user table, it will dump this
> setting along with it, same as it does now for statistics_target. So
> if you diff the DDL you might see differences in rounding. If you
> only diff the data, it won't matter unless, as you say, you're dumping
> pg_attribute itself.

The rounding when you dump it out is going to be consistant though, is
it not? I mean, you might get a difference between what you try to set
it to and the result that you get from pg_dump, but if you compare one
pg_dump to another done later there shouldn't be any change, right? If
there is an architecture difference then I could maybe see it, but I
thought float-handling was well-defined on systems we run on.

Thanks,

Stephen