Re: Additional DTrace Probes

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Robert Lor <Robert(dot)Lor(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Additional DTrace Probes
Date: 2009-03-06 08:03:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Robert Lor <Robert(dot)Lor(at)Sun(dot)COM> wrote:

> The attached patch contains the probes (originally came from Theo
> Schlossnagle) that were removed from the previous submitted patch.
> Zdenek had some concerns about the way the probes were implemented
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg01168.php. If
> there are specific recommendations, I'd be more than happy to make the
> changes and get them resubmitted.

This will introduce SLRU and Executor probes.
We already have Lock, LWLock, Buffer, I/O and XLogs probes.

I'd like to have the following probes, too. In my experience,
they could be bottlenecks or consume much time in some situations.

- idle in transaction
- spinlock wait-and-retry
- CPU: Trigger execution
- CPU: Encoding conversion