Re: 8.4 release planning

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning
Date: 2009-01-27 21:10:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> BTW, whilst we are being beat about the head and shoulders with how
> Oracle et al already have features like this, it is entirely appropriate
> to wonder how come it's not in the standard. Those companies surely
> pretty much control the standards committee, and they have managed to
> push a ton of rather dubious things into the last couple of SQL updates.
> If row-level security is such a mess that they couldn't standardize it,
> that tells me something.

For my 2c, for whatever it's worth, it's a combination of a specialized
user base and the fact that this kind of security used to only be in a
seperate product (eg: Trusted Oracle). Perhaps it will be in the
standard some day, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that.
Certainly it'd be nice if it was already there.

Thanks,

Stephen