Re: Avoiding Application Re-test

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Avoiding Application Re-test
Date: 2008-08-07 14:25:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:

> What I would like is a parameter called sql_compatibility which has
> settings such as 8.3, 8.4 etc.. By default it would have the value 8.4,
> but for people that want to upgrade *without* retesting their
> application, they could set it to 8.3.

I think down this route lies code readability and maintenability
madness. Right now, the optimizer and executor code is already a very
complex beast. We don't need to make it more difficult to understand
and improve.

Besides, the guys not updating their applications would not be
benefitted by the upgrade if they kept the compatibility with the older
version, so why would they upgrade?